2019 has got off to a busy start already with a couple of writing projects on my desk to juggle over the next few weeks. So, I’m looking forward to my first outing of the year at the English UK academic conference in London on 19 January.
I’ll be talking about the challenges students face in moving beyond the basic core vocabulary they typically build up to by around intermediate level. I’ll be looking at the reasons why they seem to hit a bit of a wall and exploring some of the ways that teachers can help students continue to build their vocabulary at higher levels. I’ll be mentioning:
- the differences between active and passive vocabulary
- ways of encouraging a passive to active shift
- the importance of having a clear rationale for vocab activities
- how to select target vocab from a text
- the difference between teaching vocabulary items and vocabulary features