I’ve written a variety of ELT materials from simple supplementary activities to a complete coursebook. I’ve written materials for general English, exams, vocabulary and grammar, and EAP, as lead author, co-author and frequently ‘behind-the-scenes’ as an anonymous contributor.
Most recently, I co-authored ETpedia Vocabulary, a resource book for teachers with 500 tips for teaching vocabulary, published by Pavilion in 2019. Read more about the experience of delving into my accumulated wordy knowledge here.
I was lucky enough to experience an overlap between two of my favourite areas, EAP and vocabulary, when I was involved in planning and developing the Oxford Academic Vocabulary Practice titles, published in January 2017. I helped to outline the syllabus, draw up wordlists and develop the format. I wrote the upper-intermediate book and co-authored the lower-intermediate book with Richard Storton.
In 2013, Oxford EAP Advanced was published – an EAP coursebook I co-authored with Edward de Chazal. It was a fascinating, and challenging, project which saw me researching academic texts in areas as diverse as anthropology and biomaterials science! There’s a brief interview with me about the book on YouTube.
With my experience in EAP, the team at ELT Teacher 2 Writer asked me to write a module for their writer training series. Working on How to Write EAP Materials gave me an opportunity to reflect on just what writing effective EAP materials involves. The ebook is available via Amazon and Smashwords and the print collection can also be found on Amazon.
As part of my work using the Cambridge Learner Corpus, I researched and wrote Common Mistakes at Proficiency and Common Mistakes at IELTS Advanced (CUP). I regularly contribute sections on avoiding common errors to various Cambridge titles. Most recently, that involved writing English for Spanish Speakers (ESS) sections for the Complete series of exam preparation books (CUP). These 24-32-page sections include work on areas of grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation that are typically problematic for Spanish learners. (See also corpus research)
My involvement in writing content includes:
- ETpedia Vocabulary (Pavilion, 2019) – co-author
- Grammar 360° (OUP, 2019) – vocabulary practice material as part of a grammar and vocabulary title for Italian schools
- Complete First for Schools 2e ESS edition (CUP, 2019) – 32-page ESS section
- Complete Preliminary 2e ESS edition (CUP, 2019) – 32-page ESS section
- Complete Key for Schools 2e ESS edition (CUP, 2019) – 24-page ESS section
- How to Write Excellent ELT Materials: The ESP Series (ELT T2W, 2017)
- Timesaver for Exams: IELTS Starter Reading (Scholastic, 2017)
- Oxford Academic Vocabulary Practice upper-intermediate (OUP, 2017)
- Oxford Academic Vocabulary Practice lower-intermediate (OUP, 2017)
- Timesaver for Exams: IELTS Vocabulary (Scholastic, 2016)
- Navigate advanced workbook (OUP, 2016)
- Insight advanced (OUP, 2015) – vocabulary pages
- First Result & First Masterclass study companions (OUP, 2014) – vocabulary activities
- How to Write EAP Materials ebook (ELT T2W, 2014)
- Oxford EAP advanced (OUP, 2013)
- Oxford EAP advanced, teacher’s book (OUP, 2013)
- Global pre-intermediate workbook (Macmillan, 2010)
- Global elementary (Macmillan) – accompanying tests
- New Inside Out (Macmillan, 2008) – CD-ROM practice materials for several levels
- Common Mistakes at IELTS Advanced (CUP, 2007)
- Common Mistakes at Proficiency (CUP, 2005)
- common error notes and activities for various Cambridge English titles (see corpus research section)